Sunday, April 21, 2013

Home Made Sweet Tarts

I personally love the internet everything you ever wanted to know how to make you can find. I love candy I have a well developed sweet tooth but I always wonder why so many extra things are added that I have to use my previous chemistry knowledge from college and homeschooling to decipher.

That leads to this amazing recipe that I found online today for.....Sweet Tarts! I am so excited I even have the citric acid the recipe calls for from a science experiment my son did for high school. We purchased the citric acid we have from amazon but I think I have seen it in the spice section at the grocery store too. If I remember correctly he needed a large amount so we had to purchase a bigger bottle than the store had.

 
On the website listed you can download the recipe to keep a copy on your computer. Don't forget to check out her other candy recipes too!
 
Homemade Sweet Tarts
1/4 c. clear soda (Blue Sky, Cream Soda, Sierra Mist, 7-UP)
3/4 t. gelatin
3-4 c. powdered sugar, plus more for rolling
2 t. citric acid

Flavored extracts
Food coloring
1/2 t. each of lemon and orange zest - optional

In a small non-reactive bowl combine gelatin and soda. After about 5 minutes, set the bowl over a pot of simmering water to dissolve the gelatin completely - until you can't see any granules. Remove from heat.
Using a hand or stand mixer - mix 1/2 c. powdered sugar and the citric acid into the gelatin mixture. Keep adding the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until you have stiff fondant-like dough. It will be somewhat sticky. Turn dough out onto a work surface covered with powdered sugar. Knead until dough is less sticky and can be easily rolled with a rolling pin.

This is the basic recipe. Now you can add what ever flavorings and colors you wish

No comments:

Post a Comment